Monday, September 24, 2007

Nuevo England...my new home



































I am going to by-pass the whole "I haven't blogged in several months" deal due to being trapped against my will in a time capsule and in the dregs of a quarter life crisis....and move right along to more important things like ORT, UGRR, switch-ins, Eastern Hemlock and Long Trail beer (more on that later). I am learning a new language--and it's not of Slavik origin this time. In fact, it's the language of Nature's Classroom where I am now a teacher..located in the land of the Puritans, quaint town centers, beautiful fall colors and America's beginnings as a nation--New England. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the whole NC (Nature's Classroom) program allow me to enlighten you....Or just visit the website.


















Things are going much better than I could have imagined. I arrived only a week ago by train (Amtrak is fun, but sort of sketchy...that is, the people riding Amtrak are sort of sketchy. Not sure what that says about me). I get to spend like 90% of my time outdoors with kids, teaching them about the woods and nature and such things. Having attended Nature's Classroom as a kid, I already was pretty familiar with the program, as it had a HUGE impact on me. A lot of concepts that I recall learning as a kid from NC focused on conserving energy, the importance of community, and learning how to identify different species of trees...among other fun stuffs.






This job right now is a God-send. Although I only plan on working for one season here (as of now) it has been a refreshment for my soul already.






















"And this our life



Exempt from public haunt



Finds tongue in trees



Books in running brooks



Sermons in stones



And good in everything."






--Shakespeare, "As You Like It" Act 2:1:15

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tell me more! i want to know everything. miss you bunches.

Anonymous said...

by the way, did you mean for the font to be completely unreadable, except if it's highlighted? or is it just me?

Anonymous said...

welcome back!

love,
cathi, president of the emche fan club