Monday, October 01, 2007

IALAC

I am going to try to be more consistant with blogging...:)


I just returned from hiking in what is called the "Back 40," which is 40 miles of forest and marsh on the Colebrook, CT NC property. It was exceedingly lovely. I find that nothing refreshes my soul more than getting to meander through the woods by my lonesome--especially after being with people non stop all week long.


New England is pretty much what one would assume it to be, at least based on say, Little Women, or Walden, ie. quaint. Plus the topography is interesting...coniferous and deciduous forest, glacial rocks everywhere, hilly...blue skies every day (since I have arrived), not to mention the plentiful and diverse animal population. In one week I saw wild turkey, a host of salamaders, newts, red efts, tree frogs, hawks, and a water snake eating a frog (my field group loooved it).


Teaching is great. I suppose I do enjoy children--their minds are like little sponges, soaking in new learning at an increidible rate. It's allowing me to be a kid again too in a lot of ways--and re-igniting my sense of wonder and awe at the complexity of natural processes and connections...and of the God who ties these all together for beauty and for good.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite quote of this post:
"I suppose I do enjoy children"

Marvelous!!!!

Anonymous said...

i think that newts, salamanders, and lizards are all the same exact thing.

Jen said...

soo...about that being more consistent with blogging thing...ha!