Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"In a way...if you have an idea of what you can be ok with and then sense the joy of...sacrificing... that's the magic and steadfastness of commitment. It's better than you and you're a part of it."

-a very wise friend of mine (http://jaredwhatsinthere.blogspot.com/)

Isn't this a beautiful definition of commitment? I think so. Commitment is something that I don't quite understand...but it's true that it works. It just works and I don't know why! Maybe it has something to do with sacrifice--that is sort of a theme throughout Scripture, and something the Lord did quite well. I think it has everything to do with being faithful in small things, and with whatev it is that you have. The entire concept is completely perplexing to me, I will not lie. We humans are incredibly resourceful, in my opinion. Any single person can possess insurmountable greatness and ability...if they are aware of it, if it is brought to their attention. "Without vision, the people parish," is another pretty stinkin accurate quote. Commitment is nothing without vision. Me thinks that there is way more to it than that though. The steps that lead up to commitment and then to vision...I feel like they have to be clear. Direct. (Maybe that is just me though.) However! They are often not clear. Abstract. Is this making any sense at all?

Maybe I am way off, but it seems like the abstractness is usually what one has to trudge through in order to achieve the vision. And I guess this is called faith. And faithfulness. Henry, a random dude I met at the zoo the other day was talking about this. Henry is 60 years old (he didn't look it), wants to be a medical assistant, and is completely commited to that goal. He knows where he has been and where he is going--even though this goal requires a lot of sacrifice and faith, but it is worth it because he doesn't have a job, and he wants to help people, and his landlord is a crazy lady and he wants to get out of the ghetto. Henry is just a tiny example...there are millions, and on much larger scales.

Marriage is obviously a commitment. So is buying a car. So is loving your brother. Perhaps people don't see these as commitments often, and make them flippiently. I don't have a conclusion--commitment still baffles me. So maybe all of you reading this are totally aware of these things already--you are probably more mature than I. All that I know is that life requires commitment, so it's best to be in the know.

No comments: