Sunday, August 24, 2008

August Shower(s)

This past week, my dear friend Laurie threw me a "missionary shower" tea party at my church, in preparation for my move to Chicago to work with Bridges International. When Laurie first told me of her idea to throw a shower for me, I literally burst into tears. She said that the Lord had told her to do it, and I believe it 100%. Lord knows how I feel after going to 8 zillion wedding and baby showers (as a single person). I am totally undeserving of how I was blessed by this shower on Thursday. Approximately 70 women showed up and enjoyed my favorite foods with me (pie, dark chocolate, tea). Laurie is a perfectionist, and it was perfect...beautiful decorations and delicious food. Many of the women in attendence have really mothered me spiritually in the past several months and years. We've had amazing prayer times and I've learned a whole lot about what it means to trust and serve God, from them.

In the midst of being at the shower, I realized how hard it is for me to accept grace. It's just so foreign to my human nature to accept something that I haven't worked for. So often I wrestle with God when He tries to bless and provide for me--I think I don't deserve it (which I don't). That's His nature though--graceful.

At one point, Laurie had everyone write down cleaning/hospitality/ministry tips for me on notecards. (Since I will be working with international students, my home will be used for hosting/ hospitality quite often--hurray!) Here are a few of my most favorite tips:

"If you pick the best smelling laundry soap, it will make washing the clothes way more fun!"-Annie

"Try to always keep cans of rootbeer in the fridge, and ice cream in the freezer, so on the spur of the moment you can invite someone over for rootbeer floats!"-Sandy

"Make your bed every morning."-Debbie

"NEVER, ever give up on a stain!! Avoid men that wear sport coats with jeans."-Erica

"When you do dishes, pray specifically for family, friends."-Donna

"When going in the fridge, use this motto, "When in doubt, throw it out!"-Julia

"Pray, listen and do whatever God tells you to do. You'll never be sorry you did."-Cindy

"Always check your backseat before you get in your car. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings. NEVER make eye contact with strangers on the street."-Bonnie

"Clean your bathroom regularly."-Emily

"Call my son Christopher. He lives in Chicago, and is VERY CUTE, 26 years old, and as nice as can be!"-Shawana

"Pray to have eternal eyes every day."-Wendy






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

emily very nice blog velimir jankovski