Friday, June 06, 2008

let's just say I'm 'vintage'

I won't embarrass myself by mentioning how often friends of mine, dear friends, have compared my likeness to that of a baba (grandma). This has probably been observed of me since I was around 10 years old, honestly. So what if I like to knit, garden and drink hot beverages? What's the problem if my favorite radio station is 91.5 (nonstop music from the 20's, 30's and 40's)? Is it such a big deal that I wear knee high stockings and taffeta dresses? (I don't do that, but I do enjoy cardigans. And I have been known to go to bed on the early side.)



Last month I had the utter privilege of going to see The Swell Season here at the Allen Theater in Cleve. It was a good choice as far as venue, I thought, as the Allen's acoustics are decent, and the atmosphere sort of ethereal. Not only is this musical pair good looking, and international (Glen Hansard is Irish and Marketa Irglova is Czech), but they are also ridiculously talented. Their music is so emotionally charged, I think I swooned the entire time. I especially loved the way they prefaced each new song: "This one is about how, in life, sometimes you are standing in front of a door and don't turn towards the door, but go everywhere else, sometimes even sitting in front of that door, until you realize...you must go through that door. That's what this song is about." (?!) Or, "This song is about how, sometimes in life you meet someone and they are perfect, and you are perfect together, but they were only meant to inhabit a perfectly short time in your existence together, and if it were any other way, it wouldn't be so perfect. That's what this one is about." (Eh, slightly melodramatic, right? Enjoyable none-the-less.) In between sips from a tea cup on stage (God bless the Irish!), Glen introduced my favorite song of the evening with an Irish proverb that goes something like this,

"The old are fools, and so are the young. Ah, but better to be a fool than have something to prove."

I have to say, I completely agree with the sentiment here. Young and old alike are not afraid to tell the truth. It's so refreshing! Most folks in between youth and old age are caught up in trying to prove to everyone around them how successful, witty, rich, established, happy, etc. they are. Kids are too young to understand etiquette and political correctness. Old folks on the other hand, just don't give a damn--realize how fleeting life is and know man's opinion is futile.

We should strive to be so carefree and authentic! I'll be a fool if it means telling the truth and having a good time any day! And nothing says 'good time' like polka music and some delicious, home-made bunt cake, eh?

No comments: