Sunday, December 04, 2005

Wiener World Adventure

So I have recently returned from the land of the Wiener schnitzel....the Wiener bratwaurst, Wiener hot wine, and Wiener everything else, as 'Wiener' describes anything from the city of Vienna, Austria. By that mere fact alone, this city could be cool. However, there are countless other reasons that visiting Vienna with the other stinters last weekend for a brief retreat, was a blast. These are a few of my favorite thinnnngssss......:)
First of all...snow. I think I must just be one of those mental people who have a strange over-appreciation for the winter loveliness that falls from the sky. Could anything be more delightful? By the way, I have learned a new Macedonian phrase..."O, moja mala snegelko!" meaning, "oh, my little snowflake!" which I will use to greet friends and strangers alike, this holiday season. Who wouldn't want to be refered to as a snowflake?
Anyhow, Wien. The city of Vienna also did an amazing job at decorating--the christmas lights displays down each street were unique--chandeliers, candles, stars, were some of my favs. (all white lights too--sparkly!)
Deutsch--why do I enjoy this language so much? I am SURE I don't know, but it's like sweet music to my ears. The words are like 30-letters long for pete's sake.
Bratwaurst--sure, it's mystery meat...as in the real mystery is how they make the the noses and entrails taste so darn good. Brat stands on every corner!! Mmm...I am enjoying life as a meat-eater.
Impressionist and expressionist art--got the chance to go to the Leopold Museum. Developed an appreciation for an Austrian artist, Egon Shiele (who studied under Gustav Klimt), and aside from being somewhat of a, eh, controversial dude, I thoroughly enjoy his pre-cubist, colorful street scene paintings.
My team--It was fun getting to know some of my teammates better during this trip through the experiences of skipping down the street and catching snowflakes on our tongues, getting into arguments and banterings concerning what to do and see, as well as concerning Franz Joseph, getting lost in the city, riding the most ridiculously pathetic ferris wheel of all time, drinking starbucks coffee, teaching Hung how to wink at girls, resting tired feet in magnificent cathedrals, borrowing Felicity's leg warmers, re-enacting My So-Called Life episodes while drinking dark, Viennese beer, petting dogs wearing coats, being art critics, playing the glasses at a cafe, browsing the christmas market and admiring men with 'penninsula' hairlines....
Although I did not find stabilo pens to buy (another one of my favorite things) it was quite a refreshing get-away. :)
















my favorite street in Vienna!!! oooo, pretty



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on the phone with you right now my Emily. I love you TONS and TONS and TONS! and your pictures are way cute.

Emily Cernoia said...

It's devoted people like you that keep this blog alive, Kimmy. endless thanks. teehee