Thursday, February 14, 2008

smoke rings and pink candy hearts

Something about Valentine's Day really makes me wish I were a smoker. Maybe it's the black and white Parisian imagery that floats through my mind...couples sitting in cafes, coyly sipping espresso, blowing heart-shaped smoke rings through cherry-red lips, sharing breathy exchanges, "Oh mon petit chou...où ai-je égaré mon gnome de jardin ?"


Sigh. Perhaps that's a little fantastic. The closest I got to that little fantasy was talking to a couple of Serbians at Arabica between support appointments today. I did recieve a hand-written poem from an authentic hippy (who in fact is what I like to refer to as my "Special Valentine")...and have secured at least 7 commitments...that is, of individuals to "be my Valentine." (No, no I am not being greedy--if you were dedicated at all to reading this blog you would recall my previous post concerning the common misconception of Valentinian customry. See Feb. 2006 post. ) Sarcasm aside, I am dedicated to thoroughly enjoying Valentine's Day regardless of the changable state of my love life.


I learned this little tidbit concerning the actual meaning behind my favorite saint day: "The Lupercalia festival was in honor of the She-Wolf who suckled the infant orphans, Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome. Lupercalia translates into "Wolf Festival." The festival began with the sacrifice by the Luperci (or the flamen dialis) of two male goats and a dog. Next two patrician young Luperci were led to the altar, to be anointed on their foreheads with the sacrificial blood, which was wiped off the bloody knife with wool soaked in milk, after which they were expected to smile and laugh." (thank you, Wikipedia)

Supposedly, the Catholic church instated the celebration of Valentine's Day in order to supercede this violent pagan tradition. Sort of makes forcing down all those chalky candy hearts seem really tame, eh?

Speaking of those tasty little conversation hearts, here is a list of unique uses besides ingestion.

  • Create a fun, pastel mosaic.
  • Draw on a chalkboard. Or on the sidewalk.
  • Put them in a glass of water and listen to the fizz.
  • Shoot them out of a slingshot at small animals.
  • Spell out a secret message to your secret crush.
  • Tick-tack-toe.
  • Use them as currency.
  • Kitty litter.
  • Soap.
  • Soup.
  • Tiddly-winks.
  • Bribery.

I think that's all. Happy V-Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.